THE CITY OF GRANITE CITY IS COMMITTED TO PROVIDING SAFE, EFFICIENT, AND WELL-MAINTAINED CITY STREETS FOR THE RESIDENTS OF GRANITE CITY AND THE TRAVELING PUBLIC.
Adopt-A-Street (AAS) is a community involvement program that brings citizen volunteer groups into partnership with the City of Granite City to keep the local roadsides clean. The program also educates and encourages people to stop littering. In addition, through the cleanup efforts, residents and visitors have a better first impression of our City.
How it Works
Each volunteer group is responsible for a dedicated section of roadway and agrees to remove litter a minimum of three times a year over a two year period. The City of Granite City supplies the roadway signs, temporary caution signs, vests, and bags for cleanup efforts.
PROGRAM POLICY GUIDELINES
1. Only local roadways within the corporate limits of Granite City are included in this program.
2. The sponsoring group shall be responsible for litter pickup only. No planting, mowing, or other activities will be permitted.
3. The sponsoring group shall adopt their section of Street for two years with the right to renew the agreement. The City of Granite City has the right to terminate the agreement and remove the sponsor’s roadside signs should the sponsoring group fail to act in accordance with this policy.
4. The City of Granite City and the sponsoring group will jointly decide on the length roadway to be adopted. The Public Works Director and Chief of Police will determine unreasonable or unsafe sections of City roadways.
5. The City of Granite City will furnish and erect the signs with the group name. The signs shall conform to the requirements of the Illinois Department of Transportation. No logos or slogans will be permitted on the signs.
6. The sponsoring group shall assign a group coordinator to work jointly with the Public Works Director and the Chief of Police.
7. The City of Granite City shall provide Street safety materials to the sponsoring group’s coordinator for distribution to the volunteers.
8. Pick up shall occur a minimum of three (3) times a year. Pick up times shall be during; April/May, July/August, October/November.
9. Adequate supervision must be provided for anyone under the age of 18. It is required that at least one (1) adult supervise five (5) youths. No one under the age of ten (10) will be permitted to participate.
10. The sponsoring groups coordinator shall give at least ten (10) days advanced notification to the Public Works Director prior to starting the pickup.
11. The sponsoring group’s coordinator shall consult with the Public Works Director and the Police Chief to determine a safe location to serve as the groups staging location.
12. The staging location shall provide for adequate vehicular parking. Under no circumstances will parking be permitted or authorized along any roads or right-a-ways.
13. The sponsoring group members are encouraged to wear gloves and it is mandatory that orange safety vests are worn at all times.
14. No food or beverage shall be carried or consumed while picking up litter.
15. The sponsoring group shall be required to provide a first aid kit and an ample supply of water at the staging location.
16. The sponsoring group shall place the litter into the trash bags provided by the City of Granite City at a predetermined location along the roadside ditches.
17. The sponsoring group’s coordinator may pick up the safety vests, bags and temporary caution signs from the Public Works Department during normal working hours. The temporary caution signs shall be placed at each end of the designated section of the adopted Street during the cleanup period.
18. The hours of 9:00am to 5:00pm on sunny, calm days shall be observed as the designated pick up days and times.
19. The sponsoring group shall proceed with litter pick up activities in the direction of oncoming traffic.
20. Litter shall not be collected from both sides of the roadway simultaneously. The sponsoring group shall proceed to remove litter from one (1) side of the roadway first, then the other.
21. Large objects found along the roadside shall be marked and reported to the Public Works Department.
22. The sponsoring group may at any time terminate their agreement, but must do so in writing to the City of Granite City.
23. A copy of the sponsoring group’s liability insurance coverage (Certificate of Insurance) shall be submitted to the City of Granite City each year that the Agreement is in effect. The City of Granite City shall be named on the certificate as an additional insured party.
PRINT & FILL OUT THIS FORM AND RETURN TO:
Public Works Supervisor
2301 Adams St.
Granite City, IL 62040