Disaster PreparednessThe region and climate of Granite City make the City susceptible to tornadoes, flooding and potentially earthquakes, which might result in the interruption of critical services such as power, water and communications. Citizens can minimize the impact of service interruptions by storing enough supplies to be self sufficient for three to five days without services.
Family Disaster Kit:
• A 3 day water supply (1 gallon per person per day).
• Ready to eat canned meats, fruits and vegetables.
• Canned juices, milk, soup, sugar, salt & pepper.
• High energy foods, peanut butter, trail mix, granola bars.
• Vitamins, medications.
• First-aid kit with non prescription drugs such as, aspirin, anti-diarrhea medication, antacid, laxatives.
• Paper plates with plastic utensils and cups.
• Emergency preparedness manual
• Battery operated radio.
• Flashlight & extra batteries.
• Non-electric can opener, utility knife.
• Tool kit, fire extinguisher – ABC type.
• Matches or a lighter in a waterproof container, plastic storage containers.
• Needles & thread.
• A map of the area for finding shelters.
• Soap, liquid detergent, household bleach, disinfectant, plastic garbage bags.
• Plastic sheeting, duct tape and scissors for sheltering in place
• Plastic bucket with a tight lid.
• Personal hygiene supplies, toilet paper, towelettes, etc.
• Sturdy shoes or work boots.
• Rain gear, hat & gloves, thermal underwear, sunglasses.
• Blankets or sleeping bags.
• Baby items, formula, diapers, bottles, powdered milk.
• Adult items, prescription medication, denture needs.
• Contact lenses, extra eye glasses.
• Important documents – Keep these records in a waterproof container:
• Will, insurance policies, contracts, deeds, stocks & bonds.
• Passports, social security cards, immunization & other medical records.
• Doctors name, address & phone numbers. Other important phone numbers.
• Bank account numbers, credit card account numbers. Cash, travelers checks
• Photographs, inventory of valuable household goods.
• Family records including birth, marriage & death certificates.
How to Make a Family Disaster Plan
Prepare Your Home for a Disaster
Severe Weather Preparedness Guide
Disaster Preparedness for your Pet
Evacuation & Snow Routes Map
Home Shelter Preparedness
Boil Order Guidelines
How do I Prepare for A(n):