Permits & Applications

More Pages

The Application and Development Process

   1. Annexation and Zoning
   2. Preliminary Plat
   3. Final Plat
   4. Planned Unit Development Process
   5. Building Construction Documents
   6. Obtaining a Business License
   7. Building Inspections/Certificate of Occupancy
   8. Downloadable Forms & Applications
   9. Petitions

The development process is complicated - but it is complexity with a purpose. We must meet local, state, and federal regulations while ensuring that each step along the way is consistent with Granite City’s goals and policies. Our goal is to help you navigate your way through the process and emerge with your subdivision, building permit, zoning, or certificate of occupancy. This page offers a general overview of the process. For more specific information, please call us at 618.452.6218.

Annexation and Zoning

Some developments may involve adding new land to the City. For these developments, an annexation is required. Annexations must be reviewed and accepted by the Planning Commission and City Council. Typically annexations are processed at the same time as the zoning. All property within Madison County is located within an underlying zoning district. A zoning district sets the permitted uses and standards for development of a particular piece of land. When a parcel of land is annexed into the City, the parcel typically has to be re-zoned to permit certain types of development. For more information on annexation visit our Annexation Page.

Pre-Annexation Agreement Form
Petition For a Zoning Variance Amendment

Preliminary Plat (All Development)

The Preliminary Plat is an initially laid out and less detailed plan for the property proposed for development. It includes the initial provisions for the infrastructure of those lots (where water lines, roads, and sewer lines are located), locations and lengths of the boundaries of the tract to be subdivided, locations of right-of-ways and their respective widths, locations of utilities (both existing and proposed) and more.

We encourage each applicant to prepare a conceptual plan and schedule a meeting with City staff prior to formal submission of preliminary subdivision or development plans. At this pre-application meeting, staff will walk you through the Preliminary Plat application packet to provide guidance on submission requirements, procedures, and deadlines. You can schedule an appointment by calling (618) 452-6218.

Preliminary Plat Application Packet

Final Plat

The Final Plat defines the individual development lots for houses and businesses more specifically and in more detail. The Final Plat nails down exact lot and easement locations, including building setback lines, lot market locations, monument locations radii, curve data, final land contours, and much more. Submittal of the Final Plat also requires that other necessary certificates of approval (e.g. Flood Hazard Certificate) be verified and submitted as part of the Final Plat submission. Final plats must be approved by the City Council and filed with Madison County. The Final Plat application packet lists the procedures and requirements for the Final Plat process.

Final Plat Application Packet

Planned Unit Development Process

Certain districts within the City have been designated as Planned Unit Developments (Spuds). These districts come in every variety, including residential, commercial and industrial PUDs. The purpose for Planned Unit Development Districts is to give the City further control in development-sensitive areas that require additional care and concern in order to prevent undesirable elements within the City. As a result, special requirements and procedures are mandated when working within a PUD. For more information regarding this process, see the Planned Unit Development Procedure document below.

Planned Unit Development (PUD) Procedures
Planned Unit Development Checklist
Petition for a Residential PUD (R-7) Plan Review
Petition for a Commercial PUD (C-6) Plan Review
Petition for an Industrial PUD (M-4) Plan Review

Building Construction Documents

Building Construction Documents include detailed drawings on how a proposed structure will actually be built. These documents include structural, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing details. Building permit review is handled administratively and can be reviewed concurrently with the Final Site Plan.

Design and Construction Engineer’s Documentation of Improvements (for infrastructure)
Spec Requirements for New Construction (buildings & accessory structures)
Building Permit Application

Obtaining a Business License

For commercial retail developments, the City requires individual retail tenants to receive a business license before the final certificate of occupancy can be issued.  All Landlords of Residential Rental Property and all General, Electrical and Mechanical Contractors must maintain a yearly renewable business license, to operated within the city limits.  Companies can file for their business license through the Building and Zoning Department.  Applications are below and may be downloaded.

General Business License Application Packet
Rental Property License Application 
Contractor License Application
Business License Ord # 8660 & Fee Schedule

Building Inspections/Certificate of Occupancy

Building inspections are conducted to ensure that construction projects are built to applicable building codes. A Certificate of Occupancy is issued after successful completion of all final inspections, prior to occupancy or use of the structure to which the permit issued.

Building Inspection Instructions
Occupancy Inspection Requirements
Occupancy Permit Application
New Home Owner Electrical Inspection Requirements

Downloadable Permit Application Forms and Other Documents

Various applications and forms for the Building & Zoning Department are provided on-line for your use.

Permit Application Forms
Sign Permit Form

Miscellaneous Documents
Permit Fee Schedule
Licensed Contractor List
Gas Water Heater Diagram
Sample Public Hearing Notice
Fence Compliance Regulations
Information Required For All Permits
Electrical Contractor Registration Application
Professional Contractor License Requirement
Sanitary Sewer (Lateral) Design Requirements
List of State Licensed Home Inspection Companies
Application and Development Process Summary Sheet


Some developments or requests by businesses and developers require either a Special Use Permit or a Non-Conforming Use Permit from the City. These types of permits require an action of approval from the Plan Commission before they can be granted. Thus, these permit applications are distinguished from other types of permit applications, and labeled as petitions.

The following is a list of the different types of petitions available as well as a brief description as to when and why each petition is required.

Petition For Non-conforming Use & Structure Permit
Whereby one of the purposes of the plan commission and zoning ordinance is to gradually do away with non-conforming uses, it is required by City ordinance that a Petition for Non-conforming Use & Structure Permit be filed in order to continue the ability for non-conforming use any time a non-conforming structure or business is sold to another party, or if the use is changed or intensified. If property owners do not comply, then the non-conforming use will be disallowed. For more details regarding this petition, please see Article 7-7.1 through 7-7.5 of the Zoning Ordinance or call the Building & Zoning Office at (618) 452-6218.

Non-conformity Exemption Petition For A Special Exemption Permit
There are at times, such circumstances and characteristics of a property or use thereof that it is unique and does not fall within any of the prescribed Zoning Districts or uses. This petition was created to provide relief for the parties in interest and/or operators of such non-conforming properties. However, this permit is meant only to be for a short-term relief, the validity of which is not to exceed six months in time span, unless a building permit is acquired and construction begun or an occupancy permit has been acquired and use of the structure has commenced. For more information regarding this petition, please see Article 7-8 through 7-10 in the Zoning Ordinance or call the Building & Zoning Department at (618) 452-6218.

Petition For Home Business Permit
If you are looking to operate a business out of your residence, then this petition is for you. This application applies only if the residents living at the location are the only employees of the business. If other employees are involved, then the business must be located within a commercial district. This is also true if the business involves any retail sales to the general public. Approval for this permit can only be granted by the City Council, following a public hearing before the Plan Commission. All property owners surrounding the prospective business location must also be notified before the public hearing. For more information regarding the requirements and restrictions of this permit, see Section 5-5 in the Zoning Ordinance.

Petition For Special Use In Residential And Agricultural Districts
Recognizing that there are potentially some C-1 and C-2 uses which are desirable in either residential or agricultural zoning districts, the City has made this petition available for companies to do just that. The C-1 District is the Office Commercial District and C-2 is the Neighborhood Commercial District. Thus, examples of permitted uses in these districts include office space (attorneys, insurance companies, etc.), beauty shops, daycare and florist shops.

Petition For Special Use For Hotel/Motel In A C-5 District
A Special Use Permit is required for all hotels and motels that are constructed within the City. Before approval can be granted, the developer must also submit a site plan, including parking, landscaping, building location, size and site, etc. For more details concerning this permit, please see Article 10 in the Zoning Ordinance.

Petition For Special Use Telecommunication Towers & Related Equipment
The City of Granite City requires that all companies desiring to erect a telecommunications tower within either a C-4 or C-5 Zoning District acquire a special use permit to construct said tower. The Special Use Permit is not required to construct the tower within Industrial Zones (M-1, M-2 and M-3), as it is a permitted use within these districts. Telecommunications towers are strictly prohibited outside of C-4, C-5 or M-1, M-2 and M-3 Zoning Districts. Certain restrictions apply. For a list of such restrictions, please see Article 5-14 and Article 10 of the Zoning Ordinance.