Mayor Ed Hagnauer
Edward (Ed) A. Hagnauer was elected as the mayor for the City of Granite City in April, 2005 after serving as the Fire Chief for three years. A lifelong resident of Granite City, Ed was raised in East Granite and attended Holy Family Catholic School as a child. Ed played soccer during one of the first years of the Granite City High School soccer program among other sports.
Following high school, Ed married his high school sweetheart, Paula Patton in 1971. Shortly thereafter, he joined the fire department on which he served for nearly 30 years. He served as Union President for 12 years during that time. In 1998, Mayor Hagnauer was elected to the County Board and served there until 2004, winning two separate bids for re-election in 2002 and 2004.
Despite his busy schedule over the years, Ed put a high priority on his family, having one daughter (Jennifer) who is now married with two daughters of her own (Taylor & Madison).
When he is not either at work or with his family, Ed volunteers much of his time to a multitude of organizations and is an active member in several others. The following list details a few of his extracurricular activities.
• Organizer of the Downtown Neighborhood Watch Group
• Serves as aide in organizing other Neighborhood Watch Groups
• Served on the Board of Directors for United Way
• Serves on the Board of Directors for Coordinated Youth and Family Services
• Serves as the Governor’s appointee on the Board of Directors for the Tri-City Port District
• Member of the Granite City Knights of Columbus
• Member of the SW Council of Mayors
• Member of the Illinois Municipal League
• Member of Metro Mayors Organization
• Member of Lincoln Place Historic Group
• Member of Eagles FOE
No matter what Ed has done in his life, he has been dedicated and determined to do it to the best of his ability, and serving as Mayor for Granite City will be no different.